Pickrr is a platform that provides hassle-free, smooth logistics service to customers, thus expediting the delivery processes, which are often cumbersome and slow. With a strong technological backing, Pickrr is employing new methods to come up with better and faster solutions.
IndiaSpark interviewed their team to find out more about their enterprise.
1. Tell us about the founders’ background before Pickrr. Share with us briefly about the entrepreneurial journey and inception story of Pickrr.
We are three co-founders –Gaurav Mangla, Ankit Kaushik and me, Rhitiman Majumder. We founded Pickrr in 2015 to solve the problem of logistics in India.
The reason of starting Pickrr is that there is no one-stop solution which aggregates all courier services in India and provide seamless logistics service to business customers. Currently, a customer has to worry about which courier service to use to send products and how to manage their orders in the best way.
2. What is Pickrr all about? Tell us in detail about the services offered and target segment.
Pickrr is a one-stop, end-to-end logistics solution – domestic and international, to business customers. Once a customer registers on Pickrr, he does not have to worry about his logistics, API integration and order management.
Pickrr is building the next generation technology powered by AI and Machine Learning for providing an independent end-to-end logistics arm for any business.
3. What are the growth opportunities in this area?
This market is $7Bn+ in terms of size. Further, the asset light-model of Pickrr makes it more scalable and target profitable by this year end.
4. What is your competition in the market? What is it that sets you apart from your competition?
In terms of competition, there are a few players that are trying to follow a similar model. However, the SAAS based structure of operation of our business makes it more scalable and asset-light.
Our major competitors are e-commerce logistics service providers – both first mile and middle mile aggregators.
However, the major difference between Pickrr and the competitors are:
None of the other competitors provide AI and Machine Learning based logistics tool to improve business for the customers.
Pickrr’s model of empowering the low hanging, inefficient and huge network of courier vendors with technology is the first in the industry which will revolutionize the way logistics is done in India.
5. What is the business model of Pickrr? Can you briefly summarize the growth achieved in both volume and value from Day 1 till now?
Pickrr’s main business model lies in business tie-ups with courier vendors from which Pickrr charges a fixed charge to provide tie-ups with business customers for logistics. Since the inception of Pickrr, we have gained tremendous growth. Currently Pickrr is serving 2000+ orders/day.
6. How has been the beginner’s journey? What were the challenges you faced in setting up and scaling up your enterprise? Any hurdle that you faced or are still facing?
The only beginner’s challenge that we faced since inception is the development of tie-ups with courier vendors and development of relationship with traditional business customer as there was an element of doubt with any startup. However, with time, Pickrr has built a brand which helps to attract new customers with almost zero marketing.
7. Can you tell us about your other founders/core team, their background and rich experience?
We are a founding team of 3 members-
Rhitiman Majumder: B.Tech and MBA from Indian School of Business with 4+ years of experience.
Gaurav Mangla: B.Tech from IIT Guwahati. Gaurav had successful exit from his previous SAAS startup in recruitment domain – OptimizedBits.
Ankit Kaushik: B.Tech from IIT Kanpur. Ankit and Gaurav were co-founders of OptimizedBits.
8. How is Pickrr funded? Any early stage money/seed stage experience that you would like to share with us?
We have received our early seed fund last year from eminent entrepreneurs and VC firms such as Karan Talwar – MD of Talbros Group, Prashan Aggarwal – Co-founder of Proptiger and COO of Gaana.com, co-founders of iRunway and Palaash Ventures.
9. Any other areas or initiatives that you plan to venture in the future?
There are a lot of new initiatives that we are venturing into in the coming month, especially in the field of AI and Machine Learning, to provide a world-class shipping tool to our business customers. Also, we are focusing on an asset-light model and have successfully reduced them by over 95% since inception.
10. What will Pickrr look like in 10 years from now? All perspectives – people, business, revenue, team, size or anything you foresee for the venture.
At this point the only thing that we want to say is that 10 years from now, Pickrr will be the major way business customers will use logistics. In terms of profitability, Pickrr will be profitable in the next 1 year.
11. Any school/ campus-connect initiatives that you are pursuing or plan to pursue?
Currently we are only focusing on lateral-hiring to strengthen our team in terms of industry experience.
12. Any experience or advice you would like to share with soon to be start-up founders out there?
The only advice I would like to share with any startup founders is to innovate considering Indian market mentality. Just blindly copying the US startup model in India can be very detrimental to the industry. Further, startups should focus more on the product features to gain customer loyalty than relying on discounts and advertisements.
With a clear objective and a sound technology at its backbone, Pickrr is the new name in the logistics market, which is firming its grasp as it looks all set to redefine the delivery process. We wish them good luck in their future endeavours!